Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My Daughter

My older daughter is a little spitfire. Two recent incidents:

1. My wife had done something that made my daughter angry for some reason. (I can't remember -- maybe told her to stay downstairs, or something like that.) My daughter squinted her eyes, and said, “I’m going to take my wand, and I’m going to turn you into dirt, and I’m going to dig you.”

2. For a while we had two dogs, Peanut and Bear (who I wanted to name "Kitty"). My wife decided to sell one, and asked my daughter which dog we should keep. My daughter said, “I like Peanut, my favorite. I’m going to put Bear in the oven, and he’ll be dog chicken.”

That said, she's not like this all the time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"She's not like this all the time." At least, not until you finish socializing here.

How old is she, 3 or 4? That's a great age because they can use words to express their anger. If they are raised in a household that has treated them respectfully, they aren't shy about expressing that anger, either.

Our son, who was a giant fan of giant nuclear lizards at that age, used to say, "I'm going to breathe my Godzilla breath on you!" and then roar.

There is something so pure about the way they describe their sensation of anger that it makes you wish adults could be as direct. There would be less shootings and tumors, that's for sure.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Stuart Buck said...

Right on, she's 3.5. Just old enough to think of creative insults, but not old enough to have any self-restraint about venting them.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home