Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Crosses

Via Howard Bashman: The ACLU has threatened to sue Los Angeles to force it to remove a tiny cross from a tiny segment of the county seal. I don't mean to plant ideas in anyone's head, but I don't know why they're worried about a miniscule cross in a county seal that no one pays any attention to, when they could be suing over the very name of "Los Angeles." After all, it means "The Angels," and it comes from the name of a Catholic chapel called "Saint Mary of the Angels at the Little Portion."

UPDATE: Eugene Volokh and Tom Smith make the exact same point.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Pierce said...

I thought I remembered that the ACLU had already tried to sue the state of California over all those religious names (Santa _____, San _____, Los Angeles, etc.) back in the 80s. I haven't seen anyone mentioning this now, though, so either I have a better memory than everyone else (I was a kid then) or I'm misremembering it entirely.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home